Saturday, 9 August 2008

It all got too much for me.

What a terrible day it has been, rain, rain, rain and more rain. Not only rain but wind, wind and yet more wind.

I was up early as usual and checked the alpacas whilst exercising the looney labradors. It didn't look too bad at that stage. A nice breakfast was had and Angus and I settled in to watch some Olympic games activity after Sue headed off on the maternity/midwife/homebirth trail.

Angus was only 1 and a half when the Athens games were on and although I explained the significance of it all to him at the time I don't think it really sank in.

Whilst watching the mens rowing I could see the weather was turning for the worse. The rain was pretty steady and it was a bit dark. In fact so dark we had to put the lights on when we started building the "bestest ever airport in the world ever" out of lego.

Soon the wind was picking up and the rain was now getting heavier. I kept looking out and checking on the alpacas. The main herd was out in the big field and had found a sheltered spot under a large Ash tree. The four 'lardies' were just lounging around. Being fully fleeced still it didn't seem to bother them much. It bothered me though, after a while I could see the cria out in the field charging around and the adults soon followed. They weren't enjoying the weather. One minute charging around the next minute flat down in a cush heads on the floor.

After about an hour I just couldn't take it anymore. I quickly 'wellied up' and after briefing Angus to man the front door I was out amongst them in the pouring rain. I managed to round most of them up on the first go and corralled them in the handling area whilst I ran like a madman around the field getting the remaining 6 up. They were not playing ball but after about 40 minutes altogether I had them all in the large handling pen. I needed a break I was exhausted.
Another 40 minutes had passed before I had managed to rearrange the hurdles together with some rope to make an alleyway from the holding area into our front garden and to the front door. By this time it was really sheeting down and although I knew I was going to be in serious trouble when Sue got home I just couldn't help myself. The rescue mission was on. I was not going to waiver it was job done or bust.

The herd didn't know what was expected of them, they had never been in the garden before but slowly I managed to cajole them into the hastily constructed alleyway. The cria were getting out under the rope sections but luckily returned to be with their mothers and rest of the herd before wandering off. There was a real sense of a collective mission here.

I then closed off their escape at the rear of the alleyway and had a chat with Angus. Once I had explained the plan to him he was all for it and, for a 5 and a half year old, threw himself with great maturity into the task.

We then started the process of getting them into the house. The interior doors were all closed apart from the lounge door. One by one they entered the house and gathered in a slightly surprised looking group in the lounge. Once they were all in the humming was quite loud but I managed to move amongst them drying them with the dogs towels. After 20 minutes or so they were pretty dry but the humming was intense. I had to try something to calm them down but just couldn't think. Then it hit me...the Discovery Channel!! I quickly fumbled with the television controls and within seconds had found, unbeliveably a programme entitled 'The Peruvian Andes, the forgotten land of the Inca's.'

Slowly but surely they all turned and looked at the screen. One by one they all cushed as I stood motionless, the controls shaking in my hands. I could not believe my own eyes.

Then Bobby, our spittiest and most stressy alpaca turned to look at me and said, "Any chance of turning it up and getting the drinks in old boy? I believe it's Pimms O'Clock'

Well what sort of blog entry do you expect on a wet and windy day?


Debbie said...

Well that just made my day!

Katie said...

How many Pimm's have you had?!

Gerry said...

Mark - you really are a bleedin' nutter do you know that?!! I like how you draw the reader in though before we realise you're making it all up and that nothing of the kind took place. I demand pictures of alpacas for the next blog entry. Gerry - Coire Alpacas

Anonymous said...

hehe! We are dying to see pics of this Mark, how much of the pimms have u got left?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, thats from Lorna & Alan, trying to suss this out :) xxx

Amiryck said...

My my Mark you were bored weren't you!!!

Now if you had wanted to spend time with alpacas inside you could have come to Inca headquarters and helped in the shearing of the 81 alpacas we did yesterday! I am afraid we couldn't set up the discovery channel but we had a radio with a gaffer taped aerial!

Lucy said...

We keep chickens and nutters on the chicken message board actually do this sort of thing with their chooks - they even take them into their beds. Maddos - have you ever smelt chicken poo?

Our wee girl always says she'd love to cuddle up to our fluffiest pacas to keep her warm at night. She makes sure to have a cria for a footrest too!