Monday 24 May 2010

We have the power!!!!!

We have been battling for five years with the grass here in Patouland. We rent just under 5 acres on a gentle south facing slope in front of the house.

The first year the local sheep farmer cut the field for hay, we had asked him to top it but by the time he got round to it (I know farmers are very busy all year round) it was waist high. Hay.

We then asked another local farmer who was very keen and said he would maintain the field and use the hay for his cows blah blah blah. To cut a long story short, he took a crop of hay off it and we never saw him again. Grrrr.

Our final attempt to organise it's 'topping' this year fell through last week so we decided to take matters into our own hands. Power to the people and all that. We went out and bought a mighty John Deere Paddock tractor (NO IT'S NOT A LAWNMOWER, SO DON'T GO THERE!!!! I WILL GET CROSS!!!)

It has a trailer, can tow all sorts of things, has two cup holders, yes folks, two cupholders! It also has cruise control and is just about the best toy I have ever had (apart from the Land Rover of course).

So taking advantage of the glorious weather I have cut (no, not mowed, cut) the entire five acres. We are now surrounded by perfectly manicured grounds, every blade cut to a precise length of 4 inches! Fantastic! The garden which normally tales an hour and a half with a lawn mower, took 15 minutes tops with the monster that is the John Deere!

How about that? Awesome work by the mighty John Deere. No alpacas to be seen, they are all crashed out in the shade. 37C in the sun here today, 27C in the shade, it's a belter. They love their 'new' field. They now run everywhere, it's very odd.
The only mistake I have made is to show Sue how to use the mighty John Deere. It was taken away from me for a period on Saturday. I didn't know what to do with myself, I was almost incandescent with rage and jealousy as that woman and that boy rode my tractor firstly round the garden and then around the whole field!

They won't be doing that again anytime soon........I've hidden the key.

2 comments:

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

Fantastic !.....any excuse now for field duties....I can see an advert in the local news agent..advertising your topping services !! :-) Providing you have the right key !! of course, and Sue hasn't got a spare one hidden and beats you to it !!....Jayne

Apple Vale Alpacas said...

I won't mention your lawn mow... tractor, if you don't mention my legs.