Thursday 18 December 2008

Christmas has come early

Sue and I decided that this year we would buy each other the same present. A joint present. Something we can both use.

A digital SLR camera with an additional zoom lens.

Sue has always been interested in photography and had an old Pentax SLR which is now a bit out of date. I lurk in the field with our little Canon digital camera but I have to be virtually on top of the alpacas to photograph them. As a result I don't get many 'natural' shots of them. They know I am there (I can not be missed) and behave accordingly. In other words they walk right up to me so that I could take a very nice 'up nostril' shot or walk away so that I can get an equally useless rear end shot. They do lots of standing around looking magnificent when I am in the house or at the other end of the field. A big zoom lens is required.


So we have now purchased a fab Canon EOS 1000D digital SLR with a huge zoom lens and some other bits and bobs. Apparently it is a 'starter' digital SLR...............for idiots, perfect.

Sue initially wanted to wrap it up and stick it under the tree but I whined and whinged and walked around with my bottom lip sticking out a lot making really sad pathetic sighing noises and she eventually relented. It never even got wrapped up!

So far I have charged the battery, fitted the memory card and looked at it..........a lot.
I have looked at the instruction manual and it made my head hurt. I will sit down over the next day or two and figure out how it all works. Do not expect any pictures from it here for some time though. I am a self confessed dullard when it comes to technology and it will take time for it to sink in. I am also a self confessed lover of shiney new things and I will probably just look at it for a couple of days first. It is a thing of great beauty.

I caught Sue reading the manual in bed yesterday so it will be a bit of a race to see who knows how to work it first! Actually I'm thinkiing I might let her read the manual and do all the hard work and then she can just show me how to 'do the taking photos bit'.

Then I''l have to work out the 'how to get the photos on the computer bit' and bing bang bong we are in business. Don't hold your breath.

Today I have been rushing around like a blue arsed fly with a firecracker up its doodah. Apparently Christmas it is next week! How did that happen? Last time I looked it was November. Anyway as a consequence we are hopelessly behind with everything and as we both have to fit a fair amount of 'day jobbing' in between now and the big day it is go, go, go, time.

Before you ask, I am writing this in my short morning coffee break in between unloading and chopping logs and nipping across to Wessex to pick up some more hay for the Wiltshire hay speed eating formation display team. I can't believe how quickly they are getting through it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck with that bad boy Canon...sitting in bed reading the manual is ok but there is no substitute for slinging it over your shoulder..wrapping up some cheese sandwiches and hiking off across the countryside somewhere and practise..practise..practise...be prepared for lots of terrible mistakes and some occasional 'keepers'...slowly but surely the ratio will start to swing the other way. Look forward to the results.

GB

Anonymous said...

..yes I know I cant spell 'practice' what you gonna do?...kill me?

Patou Alpacas said...

Thank you for your words of advice old wise one.
Had to try something as our 'official photographer' upped and left us!!

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

Nice to know that Santa has come early to you in Patou land...typical male of the species, let the lady do all the ground work...reading etc. and you storm in just to take over the exciting bits !!..taking of the nice pictures..look forward to seeing those splendid resutls with the snazzy new camera....Merry Christmas.....Jayne

Lucy said...

We've got the Canon too - not the lens yet though. Have to sell some pacas first!