Wednesday 13 February 2013

Insignificant?

Something happened this morning which hasn't happened for a week. When I weighed Tsar (I dread weighing in) for the first time in seven days he had gained weight. Now it was only 50 grams, and as I said yesterday when he lost 50 grams it was only the equivalent of a quick wee. 

I think about Tsar all the time. When I close my eyes in Bedfordshire every night I am thinking of him and he is the first thing on my mind when I wake up. 50 grams is a very small amount. Maybe he's had a big wee by now and weighs less than that?

I am trying to stay realistic, trying not to get carried away. He could be dead tomorrow I know that, he only weighs 16.30kg and he is seven months old. He is hanging on a very thin thread. But......... on the wihiteboard in the kitchen the numbers have changed from black (weight loss) to red (weight gain).

He still has the squits big time, it's still pouring out of him but is Gelda's colostrum starting to take affect? 

Here is little Tsar at feeding time saying hello to all the other weaners this morning. 
Come on son hang in there, we can do it!


9 comments:

Susan said...

Come on little Tsar - tiny steps and the first 50g is the hardest xx

Bev said...

Lets hope this is the first of many 50grams. This may be the turning point for the little fella, I've got everything crossed.

Rosemary said...

Keep going little Tsar!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark, I have never posted a comment before, but I try to keep up with your blog and read some of your followers too. We got our herd at the end of 2008 and I have learnt a lot from the daily alpaca activites that have been posted. Our first born alpaca, so very special had the squits and our vet thought we were going to lose him. Fortunately after lots of attention and promax we were lucky and he turned a corner. Indeed, he is now the fattest of our boys and we called him Hector and we introude him as Hector, who ate all the pies! Anyway, to get to my point, when Hector was unwell, we had an Australian shearer here who said back home they treat alpacas with the squits with plain probiotic yogurt. I just had to comment incase it would make a difference to little Tsar. I have everything crossed for him.

Janet - Titus Alpacas

Unknown said...

Thanks for some good news Mark. Please please let it continue. Come on Tsar x

Judi B said...

Everything crossed over here for little Tsar. 50g is 50g...we want to see a little more tomorrow though!

Debbie, Barnacre Alpacas said...

Well done Tsar, keep it up.

Still got everything here crossed.

Ivywell Alpacas said...

Fingers crossed for Tsar xxx

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

Even small steps can make a big difference .... I hope all the suggestions and all the dedication pays off for little Tsar ...hoping things continue to improve for a speedy recovery ....all the best ..Jayne