Friday 10 May 2013

Will.i.am's big brother turned up!

We are getting in the swing of things here in Patouland as another one hit the deck yesterday.
Sue was away in London (on a course, not shopping) and I was due to leave for work at 12.15pm.
My final check of the ladies took place at 12.10pm and Bannock was behaving slightly oddly. Might have to wait a bit before departing I thought. I observed. Odd behaviour flowed fairly quickly into "This needs to come out NOW".
 
After 5 minutes a nose with flaring nostrils appeared. An excrutiatingly long (for both of us) 15 minutes then passed before the rest of the head was exposed together with two feet. I relaxed, all going well. After a further bout of upping and downing and pushing and shoving a rather enormous jet black boy appeared. Not only huge but mighty! He was trying to get up as soon as he hit the ground and looked like he was ready to take on the world which was good as it had started raining.
 
He weighed in at 10.5kg, at least, he was bouncing around a bit!
I did the necessary and put a coat on him before setting off to the place I have to go to. Grrrrrrrr.
I managed to pop back two hours later and he was up and under, solid as a rock. Marvellous.
 
This morning he is doing very well and is absolutely jet black.
 

His mother Bannock has produced six cria for us over the last seven years including my favourite girl of all, Lily and the irrepressable Rafiki. Bannock does the business. The new boy is a Qjori son and is the same weight as Rafiki was when he was born.

 
Una was very interested in him this morning and wouldn't leave him alone.
 
 
I could see Bannock, who has been licking Una all week, getting a little bit miffed. Finally she'd has enough and a headbut was delivered.
 

What will today bring I wonder? I need to leave at 1.15pm today and Sue is again in London.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations...good luck hoping for a morning cria before work!

Karen Oglesby - Meon Valley Alpacas said...

Congratulations on your new dark brown Mark! Hope you get a girl next!

Rosemary said...

He looks a real Mighty one!

Apple Vale Alpacas said...

Great, looking forward to the naming

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

Congratulations on another safe arrival....does this mean he could be called Will.i.is !! He looks a super strong cria .... Jayne

Andrew said...

Congratulations. Good looking lad