Saturday 29 June 2013

Gone native!

Yesterday I was at home, in charge. I had plenty of work to do and checked the lardy girls at midday. All was well. Our lovely brown Jack girl, Reeya, was 342 days in and looking a bit 'slack' round the rear end but nothing obvious. Fabiola who had just hit the 11 months mark was also looking relaxed.

At 2.15pm I went out with a bottle to feed Una Paloma Blanca. I could sense that something was afoot in the field. A large group of females were staring at me as if to say "Well what time do you call this you slacker, it's all over!"

I glanced to the left and saw Reeya standing there looking normal. Hang on a minute there was a cria running around her, a brown one. A new one! I then saw her placenta. Fantastic, all over and all well. I trotted, well it was more of a smug wrapped amble really, over to the shed to get the Iodine spray and the scales. On my way back I walked past Fabiola who was in some long grass. As I passed her a wibbly wobbly head rose out of the grass next to her. Woah, another one!

Anyway closer examination revealed that Reeya had given birth to a very handsome light brown boy with the brightest fleece I think I have ever seen, positively glistening! He has been named Whisky Mac and he is very lovely. Some of you may think that he looks a bit fawn, which is ridiculous, everyone knows that we just don't breed fawns. It's the light, tricky under a tree. Probably had the flash going off or something.


He was soon doing lots of this. He weighed in at a healthy 8.55kg and is doing very well. Another Qjori son. 7 girls and 6 boys so far.


Fabiola, who is owned by Ivan and Gill Hayward had produced a beautiful little smoky dark brown Qjori girl. She weighed in at a very feminine 7.15kg and is extremely lively, and lovely, and beautiful.


Fabiola is a Columbus girl and despite the very light brown splodge on her back leg she appears to have produced a nice solid colour, time will tell. Actually it's a beautiful colour.

The next one up into the 'delivery zone' is the big one. My favourite alpaca in the whole wide world, Lily. She is 11 months pregnant tomorrow. I will not be missing that one! No I won't. Not a chance. To ensure that I am here when she gives birth I have resigned from the day job, gone native and am now living in the alpaca field, full time, naked.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love him...great photo looking so cheeky!

Rosemary said...

Lovely cria!
You have conjured up quite an image which I can't get out of my head - hope you have your Ray Mears Bushcraft Skills well honed and do remember - There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing - we don't want any sunburn in inappropriate places whilst naked!

Apple Vale Alpacas said...

Great news Mark - it's funny, but you want to be around for a birth, just in case, and yet to find it's all done and dusted and their suckling is less nerve-wracking.