Sunday 13 June 2010

What a marvellous weekend!

What an absolute corker of a weekend we have had here in Patouland.
I had been looking forward to it for ages. We had some of my oldest friends and some of my best friends round for a bit of a barbecue and a camp out in the garden. My only regret with events like these is that I could spend all evening in the company of any one of those attending. I feel, as well as hungover, a bit sad that they have all gone. I miss them all already.
Anyway what a night we had. The weather gods beamed from above and we got down to business in the garden.

At about 7pm the eagle eyed Lady Mayoress of Inca, Tracey, pointed out that Bannock was behaving a little strangely. Sure enough on closer inspection it seemed that she was in labour. I am sure she waited for my birthday to give birth, either that or she was waiting for an audience! Bannock was struggling a wee bit, she was 362 days pregnant and it was obvious that the cria was going to be a bit of a whopper. With a little assistance from the Chief of the mighty Inca Clan, Bannock squeezed out (it was an eye watering birth guys) a big brown Jack of Spades boy. A bit of a surprise as we were expecting a black girl, obviously!
Not only big but very strong, Rafiki, as he has been named, was soon up and running and feeding well. As you can see from the picture below he is a very handsome young chap too, we are very pleased with him. Lovely head on him.

Just to catch up on a few more names, our little Jack of Spades boy out of Poppy has been named by my father. He will be registered as Patou Resilient. Yes, as you may have guessed Dad is ex-military. He will be known in the paddock as Roger. Next to him in the picture below is Patou Rosa, a lovely little Columbus girl from Priscilla.

Finally, when the sun went down and the temperature dropped the alpaca hats once again came out. As you can see most of us, especially those of us with shiney heads are sporting Patou's finest knitwear, all knitted by my mum. Marvellous.

If you'll excuse me I must go and have a lie down, shearing tomorrow so I need to recharge the batteries.

7 comments:

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

Fantastic..what a whopper !..he looks splendid !!...You can't have all the girls..you know !!
Sounds like you need to recharge your batteries..for shearing...good luck ! I like the names...but Im not so sure...about the paddock name for one !! poor chap !.....Jayne

Unknown said...

Belated birthday wishes...how do you do it...a birth for every special occasion!

Not too clever this overdue trend for producing whoopers...lets just get back to a kinder 335 average!

Knapper Alpakka said...

He looks great! Congrats to you all :-)

Mrs Inca said...

Lady? Mayoress? Makes me sound like i'm pushing 70!! Thanks for a lovely evening - we all had a great time, especially Oliver - he loved having so much attention from the girls and slept in until 8am!
Rafiki looks even more gorgeous now he's fluffed up!!

Debbie, Barnacre Alpacas said...

He looks a little sweetie and I love the name.

Ours have their legs crossed again too, hopefully no whoppers pending though!

Apple Vale Alpacas said...

There's never a dull moment at Patou lately - fancy making Bannock wait until 7 in the evening to birth when you would have an expert on hand! Congrats Mark.

Phil said...

Great Blog and your Alpacas are a credit to you